Networking & Security
Low-Resource Enterprise Antivirus & Endpoint Protection
High performance, Business Antivirus and Endpoint Security
The GFI VIPRE Antivirus Business product line gives you seamless, tightly-integrated security solutions that deliver antivirus and antispyware protection, client firewall, and malicious website filtering technologies that protect against the ever-changing and sophisticated wave of malware in a comprehensive, highly efficient manner
A different approach to malware protection
Today, traditional viruses make up only about four percent of the total current malware universe – and are relatively easy to detect and remove. Protecting against the new wave of malware that has emerged over the last five years requires a fundamental shift in how technology is engineered to stay one step ahead of organized cyber criminals. Given the need for increased threat protection, many vendors have responded by retooling their existing antivirus products and adding new layers of antivirus capabilities, rather than building better, more efficient core code. The resulting solutions tend to be bloatware that dramatically impact system performance.GFI’s approach is different. We’ve translated our years of experience in researching, detecting, and remediating sophisticated malware into the next-generation endpoint protection technology, VIPRE — without building on older generation antivirus engines or other sourced technology components. VIPRE Antivirus Business is fast, efficient technology in a single, powerful threat engine with low impact on system resources.
Why Choose VIPRE Antivirus Business?
• High-performance technology that won’t slow down your users’ PCs
• An easy-to-use management console that gets you up and running fast
• Low RAM usage and more efficient scanning intelligence than older tools
• Clean, fast, and powerful: Designed ‘by admins for admins’
• Next-generation malware detection technologies protect against zero-day threats
GFI VIPRE Antivirus Business is available in two editions:
• VIPRE Antivirus Business: Includes antivirus and antispyware protection
• VIPRE Antivirus Business Premium: Includes antivirus, antispyware, firewall and malicious web filtering
The features below are available with both editions unless otherwise noted.
(Features available exclusively within a particular edition are listed further on in this page.)
Proprietary anti-malware detection engine uses next-generation technology
At VIPRE’s core is an anti-malware engine that merges the detection of viruses, worms, spyware, Trojans, bots, and rootkits into a single efficient and powerful system. VIPRE Antivirus Business utilizes an advanced technology stack to perform high speed threat scanning to analyze large volumes of information for malware threats in a short period of time with limited performance impact on the end user’s PC.
Real-time monitoring and protection against zero-day threats
VIPRE delivers real time monitoring and protection against known and unknown malware threats and leverages a number of proprietary malware detection methods, including dynamic code translation (the fastest method of file emulation), heuristics, behavioral analysis and traditional signature-based methods.
VIPRE analyzes the behavior of malware using the following technologies:
• Active Protection™ – Real-time detection that works automatically inside the Windows kernel, watching for malware and stopping it before it has a chance to execute on a user’s system. In addition, administrators can layer their own additional protection rules (“Monitors”) to look for specific types of behavior.
• MX-Virtualization™ (MX-V) – The built-in MX-V malware analysis technology rapidly analyzes potential malware by observing its behavior in a virtual environment so that malware is caught before it actually executes on a user’s machine. Because MX-V uses the fastest emulation technique available, Dynamic Translation, it is extremely fast
– able to do its work without compromising system performance. The integration of MX-V helps protect users from many unidentified or new variants of malware.
• Genscan™ and Cobra™ heuristics – Uses dynamic pattern assessment to determine if a sample is malware.
Integrated endpoint email security
VIPRE includes comprehensive protection against email viruses, with direct support for Outlook, Outlook Express and Windows Mail; and support for any email program that uses POP3 and SMTP. Additionally, the built-in anti-phishing feature blocks access to phishing websites by stripping out emails that contain phishing links.
Real time live threat data integration
VIPRE benefits from multiple sources for its threat definition updates with live threat data from GFI Labs integrated directly into VIPRE. GFI Labs processes tens of thousands of malware samples a day and leverages the following:
• ThreatNet™ – GFI’s user community of hundreds of thousands of VIPRE consumer users that anonymously send information on possible threats to GFI.
• GFI CWSandbox™ – A leading automated malware behavior analysis tool for fast and autonomous analysis of large volumes of malware samples.
• ThreatTrack™ – GFI Labs’ data feeds that include the latest malicious URLs used to block bad websites and phishing emails.
Centralized management and easy deployment
VIPRE Antivirus Business is easy to manage and deploy with a simple-to-use platform that provides comprehensive and powerful endpoint protection for all managed desktops and corporate laptops.
• A single agent delivers antivirus and antispyware protection, with client firewall, intrusion prevention, and web filtering in the VIPRE Antivirus Business Premium version, all handled through a robust central management console.
• Access and control agent deployment, threat database updates, quarantined malware, configuration, agent policies, scan scheduling, and recommended actions to identified malware threats.
• Agents can be deployed using silent push install (using either WMI or RPC and admin shares), as an MSI file or a self-extracting executable, or auto-deployed through Active Directory or IP ranges and subnets.
Powerful, scanning agent technology
Superior scanning intelligence that is Checkmark Anti-Virus Desktop certified and VB100 certified. VIPRE delivers high detection rates and fast updates for new exploits.
Advanced anti-rootkit technology
Finds and disables malicious hidden processes, threats, modules, services, files or Alternate Data Streams (ADS) on a user’s system.
Auto-scan removable drives
For self-running media such as USB drives, VIPRE scans autorun.inf and associated files, plus all files on any removable device when it is inserted.
Multi-site tiering model
Scalable and flexible multi-site tiering model for large-scale deployments enables distribution of IT workload, allowing regional IT staff to manage local incidents with a consolidated data view of all servers throughout your network. Control multiple physical locations by tiering at the policy level through granular role-based access control or multi-site configuration.
Role-based access control
Granular role-based permissions ensure appropriate access and control for all administrators by region, and function.
Comprehensive policy creation and management functionality gives you flexibility to control scheduling of scans and all agent options.
Support for Mac Client
Support for Macintosh computers running Mac OS X versions 10.5 and 10.6. Designed with the Mac OS look and feel for an easy and positive user experience.
The VIPRE Antivirus Business reporting features make it easy for administrators to schedule and customize its library of reports. A report scheduler allows you to easily schedule any report to run at a designated time with the ability to email reports to specified users; simplifying report distribution to management. Additionally, a stand-alone report viewer enables you to provide executive management access to all data in any format without giving them access to the console or database.
Integration for NAC support
As an OESIS-OK Gold Certified product, VIPRE provides seamless integrated control and visibility from the gateway to the desktop when using any OESIS-enabled device, including the market-leading NACs and SSL VPN gateways from vendors such as Cisco, F5, Juniper, Microsoft, SonicWALL, HP, Dell, and TippingPoint.
VIPRE is compatible with Windows 2000, XP, Server 2003, Vista, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7, 32- and 64-bit.
Features of GFI VIPRE Antivirus Business Premium Edition
Bi-directional firewall and web filtering in Premium version
The VIPRE Antivirus Business Premium edition delivers client firewall, host-based intrusion prevention (HIPS), network intrusion prevention (NIPS), and an intrusion detection system (IDS) that proactively protects against exploits and zero-day threats.
• Unique IDS functionality – Included in VIPRE are pre-defined IDS rules that are updated through VIPRE threat signatures. Administrators also have the ability to write detailed rules based on the Snort® language to complement their own security profile. Rules can be made to block admin-defined inbound or outbound traffic.
• Boot time firewall – The Boot Time feature allows administrators to limit access on a desktop to only certain network resources upon loading.
• Ad blocking – Automatically block third-party advertisements to reduce web page clutter.
• Script blocking – Optionally block Java script, VB scripts, and ActiveX controls.
• Bad URL blocking – Bad website blocking that uses the comprehensive ThreatTrack™ malicious URL feeds from GFI Labs™.
• Anti-phishing – Blocks access to known phishing websites by email or through the web browser.
GFI VIPRE Antivirus Business System Requirements
Administration Console and VIPRE Antivirus Business Services
Windows 7 (32- & 64-bit)
Windows Server 2008 SP2, R2 (32- & 64-bit)
Windows Vista SP2 (32- & 64-bit)
Windows Server 2003 R2+ (32- & 64-bit)
Windows XP Professional SP3 (32- & 64-bit)
NOTE: Embedded OS are not supported
Pentium III 400 MHz or higher
300 MB free disk space
512 MB memory
1024 x 768 monitor resolution
MDAC 2.6 SP2 or later
Internet Explorer 6 or later
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5
VIPRE Antivirus Business Agent
Windows 7 (32- & 64-bit)
Windows Server 2008+ (32- & 64-bit)
Windows Vista, Vista SP1+(32- & 64-bit)
Windows Server 2003 SP1+ (32- & 64-bit)
Windows XP SP1+ (32- & 64-bit)
Windows 2000 Server with SP4 RU1 or later
Windows 2000 Professional with SP4 RU1 or later
NOTE: Embedded OS are not supported
Windows Installer Provider is required on XP 64bit and Server 2003 platforms in order for WMI deployment to
function (all other supported operating systems have the Windows Installer Provider built-in.)
150 MB free disk space
512 MB memory
Internet Explorer 6 or later
Supported Email Applications: Outlook 2000+, Outlook Express 5.0+, Windows Mail on Vista, SMTP/POP3
Thunderbird, IncrediMail, Eudora, etc.)
SSL supported in Outlook and Outlook Express only.
Note: GFI VIPRE Antivirus Business is currently available in English; localized versions of the software will be available shortly.
University of West Alabama
As a typical academic environment where research and inquiry are highly valued, the network at the University of West Alabama is particularly vulnerable to viruses and spyware due to the relative freedom with which people can utilize the internet and download at will. The University needed an enterprise-level security tool that combined antivirus and antispyware in one, with an administration platform that would save time and provide efficiency for the Information Systems team. With its next-generation, high-performance attributes and low impact on resources, VIPRE Enterprise was exactly what the University was looking for. Read the Case Study
Comox Valley School District
Frustrated with the resources being consumed by antivirus/antispyware solutions, Comox Valley School District searched for a new solution and found VIPRE Enterprise, which offered significant performance advantages and easy, efficient administration and maintenance. Read the Case Study
Over time, the top name brand antivirus product deployed at Economic Concepts posed a higher and higher toll on the PCs in their office, gobbling system resources, taxing legacy hardware, and generally becoming invasive for users. The financial planning organization was forced to consider a costly upgrade to their PC hardware, in order to defend themselves from the resource drain of their current product. VIPRE Enterprise provided many benefits, including the maximization of legacy hardware investments. Read the Case Study
ShareTech is a professional IT management company, specializing in performing the role and tasks of an in-house IT Department, only doing it all virtually – over the internet. ShareTech had been using two separate solutions for security, when issues developed with both. ShareTech needed to find one security solution that filled all of the needs of both ShareTech and its customers. Having used CounterSpy Enterprise in the past, ShareTech implemented VIPRE Enterprise. Read the Case Study
Surrey Community Development Trust
Surrey Community Development Trust ran an antivirus solution from a well-known vendor, but the impact it had on the performance of the organisation’s workstations severely affected employees’ ability to work. Combined with a poor central management console and customer support, SCDT was not seeing enough value from its antivirus product. Following a search of security and antivirus providers, SCDT came across VIPRE Enterprise. Read the Case Study
Evergreen sought an integrated antivirus/antispyware solution that would be easy on workstation memory, and also offer the significant performance and maintenance advantages of a central console, without the install/uninstall, application conflict, roaming profile, and communication issues presented by past solutions. After a trial evaluation, Evergreen deployed VIPRE Enterprise on both workstations and servers. Read the Case Study
Washington Department of Ecology
Using a popular name-brand antivirus product, the Department of Ecology experienced several infected computers per week, which required complete re-installation of operating systems – a tedious and time-consuming task. They evaluated security products from other top-known brands but found that they produced slowdowns on workstations that frustrated end-users. The department decided to change all of their desktop security over to VIPRE Enterprise, a full antivirus and antispyware solution. Read the Case Study
Parkview Medical Center
Parkview Medical Center was using stand-alone copies of a popular antivirus product as well as individual copies of free spyware/malware software to augment it. As the threat environment evolved, that configuration became less reliable and manageable. It also became increasingly time-consuming for the IT staff to address every threat on hundreds of organization PCs located in buildings scattered over a miles-wide radius. After a successful trial in the IT department, Parkview rolled VIPRE Enterprise out to the whole organization. Read the Case Study